* Previous checks : in many countries preconceptional studies are discussed. In general, these are clinical, gynecological and infectious tests to determine if your body is ready to procreate and carry out a pregnancy. Sometimes, solving something before starting allows you to avoid risks and later complications.
* Folic acid : it is important to start taking folic acid a few months before looking for a pregnancy. It is recommended to take 1mg per day until the positive test. Then, the doctor will probably raise the dose to 5 mg.
* Do not smoke : Several studies show that women smokers have more difficulties to get pregnant. Lower the amount of cigarettes and, if you can, quit smoking. It is the ideal!
* It is not so easy: human fertility is highly inefficient. In the best conditions, only 25% of couples will achieve a pregnancy in a month maintaining frequent relationships without contraceptive methods. And, as the age advances (advancing towards 35/40), the probabilities are even lower.
* The chances improve if you are attentive to your date of ovulation: The cycle of ovulation lasts for 6 days and it is in this period when the woman is at its most fertile stage. The best days are before and after ovulation, which is when one of the ovaries releases a mature ovum (oocyte). This process occurs around the 14th day of the menstrual cycle, if the woman menstruates every 28 days. The oocyte survives some 24 hours and the sperm some days longer, therefore the woman can become pregnant from 3 or 4 days before ovulation until two days later.
To calculate your next fertile week, enter in Google the words ” ovulation calculator ” and a lot of options will appear. There, enter the first day of your last menstruation, the length of your period and the average duration of your cycles. If you are regular, everything will be easier. If you are not, consult with your gynecologist and ask her about the ovulation home tests: many of them are useful.
You can also estimate your ovulation date with a simple calculation: you have to subtract 14 days from your cycle and you will have the approximate day of your ovulation. In turn, there are other signs that you can attend to know that you are ovulating: we have a thicker flow, increases the basal temperature and you can feel ovarian pain, like stitches, on both sides or in one. Dr. Mario Sebastiani explained to Entremujeres how to warn that we are ovulating: “a woman can realize her ovulation by the cervical mucus filament How to observe it The cervical mucus placed between two fingers does not separate when they separate”.
* Every day? Many doctors recommend not having sex every day – let alone several times a day – to find a baby. The more followed the semen segregation of man, the lower the amount of semen produced. The frequency they recommend is every other day. The ideal is to have sex at least three times that week.
* Positions : yes and no: there are sexual positions that will increase your chances of achieving a pregnancy and others that play against. There are two should discard: the woman should not be standing or above the male: by the effect of gravity, the sperm will leave the vagina more quickly.
Which ones agree? Some studies argue that the “prayer position” (the man behind or above) increases the chances because it facilitates penetration deeper and the semen is closer to the cervix. The same with the lateral position.
* Orgasm : many investigations affirm that the orgasm in the woman is fundamental, because the vaginal and uterine contractions bring the semen to the cervix and favor the entrance of the sperm.
* Neither bathroom nor bidet : after having sex, it is convenient that you stay in bed for at least half an hour. Some recommend upside down. Ideally, you should place a pillow under your pelvis or something that raises it a little: this increases the amount of sperm coming into contact with the cervix.
Obsessing with the planning of sexual relationships is counterproductive. Apart from calculations and formulas, specialists advise to have sexual relations when the couple so wishes, regardless of ovulation. The reason is simple: the tension that generates being aware of the best days and whether or not the rule does not favor gestation. If we do not obsess, the chances are that the pregnancy will arrive when the couple least expects it.
* Do not get anxious and do a test every other day. Expect the delay and if, not this time, it will be next. If you spend six months, make a consultation. Beyond the fact that a certain delay is normal, better remove doubts and not expose yourself or expose the couple to bad times and unnecessary anguish. If there is something to do, better do it fast.
* If you are pregnant, do not forget that the first trimester is key. Do not consume medicines, do not smoke and do not overdo it with alcohol. It is beautiful to start caring and loving your child from the day you started looking for him.