Quitting smoking is not easy. Even knowing the harmful effects of smoking, quitting the habit of smoking is an elusive goal for most people, but it is not impossible, everyone can achieve it. Here are some tips that can help you stop smoking :
- Set a date to start. You must stop smoking completely that day. If you wish, the previous days you can reduce the consumption of cigarettes.
- Communicate your decision to family and friends.
- Get rid of cigarettes and ashtrays, and clean everything that smells like smoke: clothes, furniture, curtains, etc.
- Remove the cigarettes and ashtrays from the car, and place sugarless gum instead.
- Identify the moments that you feel most want to smoke. It can be after the meal, while you watch TV, when you drink coffee or alcohol, when you are stressed, etc. Think of something else to do in those moments when you will want to smoke more intensely: drink tea instead of coffee, go for a walk after a meal, etc.
- Changing your routines can help you stop smoking . Eat at different times or make many small meals instead of three large meals.
- Have healthy snacks on hand: celery or carrot sticks, fresh fruits, whole-grain crackers, etc. Whenquitting smoking , it is normal that you feel anxious and want to take something to your mouth.Also try placing a straw or a cinnamon stick, simulating that you smoke.
- Look for support groups. Many health centers have support programs for people who want to quit smoking.
- Get information about nicotine replacement products (chewing gum, patches, etc.) as they can help you stop smoking .
- There are also some medications that can be useful to quit cigarettes, consult your doctor.
And finally, do not be discouraged if you fail, it’s normal. Most people will need at least two attempts before they quit smoking completely.